All Women’s Birding Bust
Our primary goal is to get women out into the field and participate in a Big Day Count and have fun. This is not a competitive event unless you make it so, which some of us have, I`ll admit. In any case, come out and join us.
We haven’t done an All Women’s Birding Bust due to COVID in 2020 and 2021. However, in 2022, we invite all you ladies to join together to celebrate birding together again. Just register your team with Georgann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact name and email
Date for your AWBB day
Area of Georgia you will bird
To be truly competitive, we must adhere to a few rules established bythe American Birding Association. Please read them carefully. After all, we are women and we do things right, the first time, every time.
RULES FOR BIG DAY COUNT
- Birds must be conclusively identified by sight orsound.
- Birds counted must be alive, wild, and unrestrained.
- Birds attracted to tape-recorders or feeders may be counted.
- All counting must be within a single 24-hour period on a single calendar day.
- All participants must travel in the same vehicle.
- All team participants must remain within direct voice-contact distance except for time-outs (bathroom breaks).
- 95% of the birds counted must be seen or heard by everyone on the team. Only 5% can be unshared birds, i.e., not seen or heard by everyone on the team.
A bird does not have to been seen or heard by everyone at the same time.
For example, two out of four team members may see a robin in the morning and, later in the day, the other two members see one, making the robin a shared bird.
- Teams must make every reasonable effort to avoid receiving bird-finding help from non-participants. Phone and radio contacts and pre-arranged field encounters are not permitted.
- When other birders are encountered, participants may not solicit bird-finding information. However, any information received prior to the Big Day Count
may be used during the Count.
- Each team should strive to maintain proper birding ethics and etiquette at all times.
This includes no speeding tickets!
- Have fun.